A few weeks ago, we had a big birthday celebration for my son with lots of his friends. So how exactly do you keep a bunch of 10-year-old Italian boys happy at a birthday party? With pizzette of course! These mini pizzas will make just about anyone happy – – adults included.
For 20 mini pizzas
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup milk warm
1/4 cup warm water (with a dash of sugar added)
a packet dried yeast
1/2 cup tomato sauce seasoned to taste with salt, and basil or oregano
6 ounces mozzarella
1. Dissolve the yeast in the sugar-water and leave until it is activated.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and sugar. Add the milk, oil and water and stir well, eventually kneading until the dough is smooth. It might be a little sticky, that is ok.
3. Place the dough in the bowl, cover with a cloth and allow to rise until doubled in volume (about an hour and a half) in a warm place.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. After dough has risen, form pieces of dough into balls a little bit larger than walnut-sized and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then gently flatten balls into mini pizzas, leaving imprints. (the pizzette will look rustic).
6. Add tomato sauce topping and cheese.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes, allow to cool and serve!