This is the period for asparagus! They are everywhere – in supermarkets, in the street markets, and there are even entire festivals devoted to them!
Here below is just a simple way to prepare them as a side dish. Enjoy!
one pound fresh asparagus
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add sugar to water. While waiting for water to boil, clean the asparagus and eliminate the tough and hard part of the stem by bending the stem until it breaks off.
2. Cook the asparagus in boiling sugar-water for about five minutes. The sugar in the water will help the asparagus retain a bright green color.
3. Remove asparagus from boiling water and place in ice water for about five minutes. This process will help further brighten the green color.
4. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus and cook for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
5. Remove to serving dish and top with parmesan cheese.