Italy’s answer to a grilled cheese sandwich? Yum, the melted mozzarella is oh so satisfying. Mozzarella in Carrozza is the perfect lunchtime meal – perfect for kids, but also us adults accompanied with a nice glass of wine of course!
1 pound of mozzarella cheese
16 slices of bread
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of salt
pinch of pepper
oil for frying
1. Slice cheese into 8 pieces more or less equal in size and height to the slices of bread.
2. Cut the crusts off the bread.
3. Place a slice of mozzarella between two pieces of bread, pressing the edges of the bread to make sure the sandwiches will remain compact and the cheese contained. (Hence the name, Mozzarella in a Carriage)
4. Continue with the rest of the other sandwiches.
5. Place the flour in bowl or large plate for dredging.